Thursday, September 30, 2010

Meetings...Meeting and Now The Waiting......

Well, yesterday was a day I had planned and planned and planned even more. I have been a Doula for over 2 years now and love every minute of it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It is such an exciting time and Oh!! what an adventure to watch a couple transition into being a family. Just absolutely powerful. In my finite mind I would love to be able to present such a thing to our patients.
I had proposed it before and didn't get a good response. There of course is always the concern of not being able to get the rest of the million things that I am responsible for done. My goal is to move from doing what I am doing to something more with the patients and having a relationship with them. Working with them through out their pregnancy with education, sharing, talking, connecting and those types of things.
I worked and prayed and worked and prayed and put a nice packet together. Bought beautiful pastel colored folders and everything. Typed up a cover letter, supported it with research, and the actual proposal itself and even a packet of information that could be discussed through out the pregnancy.
VERY EXCITED AND VERY NERVOUS!!!!
I went and requested a meeting with our CEO. She is a very nice lady and very open minded and it was awesome that I even got an appointment with her. I had basically worked myself into a tizzy over going to see her. No sleep, stomach in knots, the whole thing. I met with her and we talked and I explained. She was impressed with the presentation so to speak, I think. At the same time, I already knew that nothing would happen right then. We will talk with the doctors and your site administrator and just see what they think. Part of me knew that. At the same time, my heart just sank. I wanted her to be as excited about it as I was. One positive thing that she said was "Don't sell yourself short" I hung on to that all afternoon
I then had arranged to be gone during an extended lunch so I went and spent sometime with a colleague that works in another practice. She is just awesome. She had actually been working at our local hospital and now works in an office. She is a Women's' Health Nurse Practitioner. She is actually the one that introduced me to the whole Group Prenatal Care idea. She is one of those people that you can not help but get excited when you talk to her. She is just AWESOME. So I went and we talked about how to do it here, what would be the steps, how to tweak it to work here and try something new. She said something to me that just meant the world and she probably has no idea that she said it. "It's really hard when people squish your enthusiasm". I thought, you are exactly right. It is just so very hard!!!!!!!!

So.....now that you know more than you wanted to know.....
What is the next step?
Where do I go from here?
What do I do next with this whole idea?

First is to keep praying and seeking for His direction
Second is to just keep doing what I have been doing. Keep reading EVERYTHING I can get my hands on.
Third is to be open and ready to move if that is what is called for. Scary as that would be.
Fourth is to keep researching Midwifery programs. Who knows if that is an avenue but I am VERY interested!!!!!!!!

Well, it's time to get back to the stack of work laying on my desk.
Have a great afternoon.
Praying for a baby this weekend.....Mom and Dad are ready.....wonder if he is?????

Laboring With You,
Doula Mama Pam

No comments: