Saturday, June 23, 2012

One Of My Favorite Books

I'm in the process of reading 2 books actually.  One book is by Bob Harper from The Biggest Loser called Skinny Rules.  Lots of stuff that I already knew but lots of new stuff as well.
 The other book is one that I have read so many times and every time I read it I find more in it.  It is one of those that makes me think about how I would react. What I would do? What would my thoughts be? I'm always humbled reading Corrie Ten Boom's book The Hiding Place. 
Its just one of those books.  I thought this would be a good place to share some of my favorite quotes out of the book.  The quotes are very thought provoking for sure and really cause you to think.  I think that part of the reason that it seems to have me thinking is because of where I am at this time.  I'm in New Orleans.  The place where Katrina hit.  Majority of what we have seen has been rebuilt and/or cleared and cleaned.  Every so often you run across a building that is still boarded up.  There is also the Super Dome.  It was almost breath taking and over whelming at the same time. Every time we walk down the street or go for a ride, I can not help but wonder how much water was here?  Was it in the house? Was it up to the roof?  Those that lost their lives. Those that lost everything.  What would have my response been?  Makes you thankful and grateful for sure!!!!!! 
Now for some of the book.....The Hiding Place

-Today I know that such memories are the key not to the past, but to the future.  I know that the experience of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do.

-Betsie and I knelt down by the piano bench.  For what seemed hours we prayed for our country, for the dean and injured tonight, for the Queen.  And then, incredibly, Betsie began to pray for the Germans, up there in the planes, caught in the fist of the giant evil loose in Germany.  I looked at my sister kneeling beside me in the light of burning Holland.  "oh Lord, " I whispered, "listen to Betsie, not me, because I cannot pray for those men at all."

-"I don't know," she said softly. "But if God has shown us bad times ahead, it's enough for me that He knows about them.  That's why He sometimes shows us things, you know-to tell us that this too is in His hands."

-But Betsie put a finger on my mouth.  "Don't say it, Corrie!  There are no 'if's' in God's world.  An no places that are safer than other places.  The center of His will is our only safety-O Corrie, let us pray that we may always know it!"

These are just a few.  I will share more as I continue to read!!!!!!!  If you have read the book, what were some of your favorites???  Feel free to share!!!!!!

Pondering,
Pam

No comments: