Friday, January 29, 2010
1. Would you ever vacation alone? Yes. I have actually done this before. I felt as guilty as the day is long but I did it. I enjoyed it to some degree but it was almost lonely. I missed my kids WAY to much. It was fun for a day or 2 and I was READY to go HOME!!!!!!
2. Do you go the speed limit? If a policeman is asking me the question---Of Course I do. In my gut, typically I am 5 over whatever is posted.
3. Why did you start blogging/following blogs? I started when I found out about Confessions of a CG Husband and then it snowballed from there for about 1 1/2 years and then next thing I knew.......Mothering The Mother Blogspot was born. I blog to share birth stories, share with friends and families and watch my children grow up. Its a great outlet to for journaling. I LOVE TO JOURNAL!!!! I have many journals in boxes and now they are all on the web. Not ALL but most!!!!
4. Where do you shop for yourself? Macy's at the Mall of Georgia. Whenever I go to Ga. to see Mom and Dad. My Mom and I end up at the Mall and we can be in Macy's for hours and call it a day and never go in another store. Of course, once a year trip to Victoria's Secret!!!!!
5. What was the song that you danced your first dance with your spouse to at your wedding...or...what song would you like your first dance to be to? We have actually never danced.....isn't that crazy. I never even thought about it. I would have to think on that one. I am an oldies music nut (I know it's weird that the oldies are the 70's ad 80's) but I can plan "Name that Tune" with my 21 year old and he is pretty good at it to. Anyway, I'm not really sure. I will have to ask him.
If you would like to jump in.....GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!
Have a Fantastic Five Question Friday!!!!!!!
Doula Mama Pam
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Hi Scot and Kelli,
My name is Pam. I am 41 years old and love the ministry of K-Love. You all have been used by God more than you will ever know. I am a wife and mom, working full-time-plus. I heard about your challenge/contest on the radio coming home this evening and could not help but want to share my story. Fighting weight has always been a struggle for me. To this day it is still a struggle. I wanted to share my story as encouragement to those out there that are where I have been. I had my first baby at the age of 20 and life was good. I was not overweight and didn't seem to struggle at that point. And then the news came that I would never have any more children. I was 22 and devastated. I spent so much time in prayer begging to get pregnant just one more time. Through all of the thoughts of doing infertility treatments and what that would cost and being frustrated with life, I gained weight. Not just a little but A LOT!!!! I had gone from a size 12 to wearing almost a size 20-22. I was miserable. I would eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted it. It was awful. I look at the pictures now and it literally makes me physically sick. The Lord knew his timing and when my oldest was 18, I had my second baby. Yes, I have one in college and one in daycare!!!!
I have an awesome friend (Thank you Mish!!!!) that got me on a treadmill at the YMCA and told me to run for 30 seconds and I told her she was out of her mind. NOT A CHANCE!!!!. I finally gave in just to get her to leave me alone. Now, almost 10 years later, I have run a full marathon, 2 1/2 marathons and planning on at least one this year if not 2. I woke up and realized that my body is HIS temple and I needed to take care of it. I was miserable physically, emotionally and spiritually. Being overweight and unhealthy affects EVERY part of your life. I am not finished with what I need to lose. To date I am 65 pounds lighter than I was and have about 35 more to lose. I am on my way. HE that began a good work in me is not done yet. It's going to be a great 2010 and I am going to win my battle over weight. !!!!!!Thank you for taking the time to read my testimony. I love your show and K-Love. Keep up the Kingdom work.
Running His Race,
PS- here is my blog that I write on daily and a picture of my husband and I before I ran my marathon. I have now added a sidebar on my blog that keeps me in check and accountable to all of my blogreaders. http://motheringthemotherinnc.blogspot.com/2009/09/wordless-wednesday_16.html
I posted this to encourage you. If you are struggling, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!! Hang in there, work hard and it WILL happen!!!!!!!
Laboring and Getting Fit With You,
Doula Mama Pam
Monday, January 25, 2010
Poor Little Earthworm- Conversation went something like this.....
Me- Oh Kaleb look!. It's an earthworm. (It was perfect. Sidewalk was dry and he was all stretched out and you could see all the "details")
Kaleb-No No No- no touch it Mommy!
Me- Kaleb, you don't have to touch it. Just look at it with your eyes.
Kaleb- I not look at it with my eyes. I don't like it.
Me-Ok, that is fine. He is probably going back in the grass.
Kaleb- YOU put him back in the grass Mommy.
I DID NOT bend over and use my keys to pick up the earthworm and put him back in he grass while my little one watched from the car.
I did not play "horsey" with my 3 year old using his little wooden horsey's(I don't think that is a real word) The kind with a stick body and head. Yes, we have a little one and a big one. Guess which one I ended up with???????hahahaha
Have an awesome Monday!!!!!! See you back here next Monday!!!!!
Laboring With You,
Doula Mama Pam
Sunday, January 24, 2010
Saturday, January 23, 2010
Frozen Lemonade Pie
1 small can of frozen lemonade, thawed
1 can condensed milk (Eagle Brand)
1 Large Cool Whip
1 deep or 2 shallow pie shells, prebaked OR you can use graham cracker pie shells
Put first 3 ingredients in a bowl and beat well with spoon. Pour into pie shell(s) and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
This was one of my Papa's favorites. I hope you enjoy it to. If you like limes, you can also use limeade.
Laboring and Cooking with You,
Doula Mama Pam
Friday, January 22, 2010
It's gonna be good, I can tell.
1. What is better, growing old with out money or dying young and wealthy? Growing old with out money. I can't take it with me anyway. Hopefully I won't "have any" money because I have invested it in my children, their education, the bills are paid off so they don't have to worry about them and I have given back to the Lord what He has asked of me.
2. Who takes out the garbage at your house? I take it and set it outside the door and then he takes it to the dumpster. We live on the second floor in a condo. So I guess he really does the work.
3. Have you ever had the same dream many times? Absolutely. Especially when I was pregnant. Of course I dream the same running dream when I am getting ready for a race.
4. Can you play a musical instrument? Yes, well not right now. I took piano lessons for YEARS!!!!!!!! I probably could if I sat there long enough. Sometimes I really miss that!!!!
5. If you owned your own store, what would you sell? I would have a "Mothering The Mother" Boutique. Childbirth classes, Doula Services, Massage, Lactation Consulting, Manicures and Pedicures, place to sit and breastfeed and visit with other Mom's. Of course have a coffee and hot tea bar. Video's and DVD's for the little one's to watch and toys for them to play with. How cool would that be????? Anyone want to help me get it started?????
Laboring With You,
Doula Mama Pam
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Monday, January 18, 2010
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Saturday, January 16, 2010
1 head of lettuce, shredded (Romaine is wonderful)
2-3 tomatoes diced
1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained
8 oz rated sharp cheddar cheese
1 bag of Fritos or Doritos, crushed
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1 bottle of Catalina or Italian dressing
Shred lettuce into bite-size pieces in large bowl. Add tomatoes, beans, cheese and onion. Just before serving, add Fritos and dressing. Toss well.
Serves 10-12 people. You can also alternate with black beans and even use a can of Rotel Tomatoes if fresh are not available. Just make sure that you drain them.
Friday, January 15, 2010
First Five Question Friday......
I kept seeing this an thought I would jump in today. Link up and give it a try!!!!!
1. Worst trouble you ever got into as a teenager? My dad and my Algebra teacher had decided that I needed tutoring in Algebra and planned for me to attend tutoring after class at least one day a week. I was not the only one. There were ALOT of us that didn't GET it.
I chose on one particular day after school to NOT go and go and hang out with some guy friends. Of course when I got home it was the typical questions....How was it? Lots of homework? Did you work hard? Of course I said "It was fine, not a lot of homework and it's always hard" You can imagine the color draining out of my face when my Dad looked at me as only he can and said..."Mr. Butts (that is his real name) called and said he missed you today after school" DEAD WHERE I STOOD!!!!!
2. Are you a morning person or a night person? I am both. I can hop up in the morning, have a cup of coffee and I am ready to go. I can be a night person if I am helping with a delivery, watching a great show or movie or even hanging out with friends. A little strange probably.....
3. Are you a one-handed or a two-handed Texter? By all means 2 handed. Takes WAY to long to do it one handed.
4. Democrat, Republican, or Independent..or maybe even Green Party (whatever that is). Republican. Never heard of Green Party but trying to do more "green" at home.
5. Are you a pet person? Love DOGS!!!! Not so much a cat person unless they are old, fat and just lay around. Have had birds. I enjoy them, just messy. Had a lizard at one point and they are pretty cool but a lot of work with crickets, lighting and all.
Laboring With You,
Doula Mama Pam
It's Friday and how are YOU doing with your resolutions? I am doing a bit better this week but of course there is always room for improvement. More time in the gym, less stress, less stress eating and more water drinking but of course it is a lot easier to write those things than to actually do them.
I actually have my "Fat" pictures on my wall/bulletin board at work. I will take them home this weekend and see if I can figure out a way to get them posted. They hang on my wall to remind me that "I don't EVER want to go there again". IT IS NOT AN OPTION!!!!!!!!!
I have worked way to hard to go back there again and to think of ALL the clothes that I would have to go to Goodwill and buy back would make me physically sick. When I ran my first 1/2 marathon, I was what I would call TINY compared to what these prior pictures look like. I will never forget going shopping for uniforms with my Mom and trying on a Large......TO BIG!!!! then going to a MEDIUM.....still to big.....and for the first time since 9th grade.....a SMALL ACTUALLY FIT!!!!!!!! It was amazing and my self esteem was as high as a kite. IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!
I have had a baby since then and was at my smallest pre-pregnancy and even with a scheduled C-S came to my 6 week postpartum weighing exactly what I weighed at my first visit. Got married and now have crept up and it is NOT AN OPTION!!!!! So.....2010, we are headed back to that Uniform shop and we WILL BUY SMALL PANTS AGAIN!!!!!!
So with all of that said......We will continue on with the resolutions and I will check in and keep you posted on how we are doing. Just look for the "Side-Bar" updates.
Thanks for stopping by today and by all means......LEAVE A COMMENT!!!!!!!!
Laboring With You,
Doula Mama Pam
Thursday, January 14, 2010
It is Thursday and I am so thankful that this week is almost over but this weekend is just as busy as the entire week has been. Meet some friends at the gym Friday night, run Saturday morning, Gym with the hubby, Little Man's birthday party, meet with a Mom and her family, Church on Sunday and then a party Sunday afternoon and come home and collapse!!!! That wore me out just typing it. This has been a high stress week. We were back in court yesterday with our daughter. It was a hard place to be. At the same time, it was the right place to be because she is our daughter no matter what she thinks or feels toward us. The only way I would know to describe yesterday is high stress and sad and on the other hand her new case worker is so very optimistic. Let's make a journal entry.........
It's Thursday and we made it through yesterday.
The only thought on my brain was that I wanted to get off the roller coaster.
We have been on it for 10 years. Lord, I am tired.
You gave her to us and there are days I wonder what Your purpose was.
You created in me a different person than I was 10 years ago.
You have stretched me until I was literally physically and emotionally broken. Yet, you picked me up, dusted me off and told me to hang on to You with everything in my heart.
We have watched psychiatrist, therapist, nurses, teachers, Sunday School Teachers, School Teacher, pastors, friends, family, siblings, parents and everything humanly possible to help or try and "fix" her.
Lord, I know that she is mentally ill and the life experience that she has had by the age of 18, no one should ever have to go through.
Yet, Lord, the one thing that I can hang on to is the fact that I know that I know when we had Vacation Bible School 8 years ago and she made a profession of faith in You and was baptized, she is Yours!!!!!
You gave her to us for a time. You give all of us our children for a time but ultimately they are Yours.
We have held on for the roller coaster ride of a life time and in my heart, I am sure we are not off of it yet but for this time, we are in the waiting line and maybe called on again at some point in the distant future.
For now, Lord, she is totally yours and our hands are tied at this time. She has made her choices and her decisions and the judge, the probation officers, and the social worker will help from here on out.
Yes, she is still our daughter and we want so badly to see her succeed.
As her Dad said yesterday in the court room.... "We love her and want what is best for her."
Lord, help to keep my hands off and not try to help You. Heal my broken heart. Thank you Lord for seeing us through.
We love you T!
Mom, Dad, Bo and Lynn
Monday, January 11, 2010
Sunday, January 10, 2010
Accountability is key for me. If I know other people are watching, checking in with me, reading a blog, following on Facebook and things of that nature, I WILL do a lot better.
All of that being said......I added "Goals For The Week" at the top of the sidebar to your right. It may change during the week. I may update it as the week goes by and maybe even blog a little here and there.
Would you join me? Would you put one on your sidebar? Need some accountability like I do?
If you want to, leave something in the comments. Check back in and let's see the New Years Resolution fulfilled!!!!!!
Laboring and Resolut-ing With You,
Doula Mama Pam
Thursday, January 7, 2010
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
-Cancel the gym
-Go to the Urgent Care to check on ears
-Wait an hour or more.
-Go to the pharmacy and get the meds
-Stop and grab something for dinner
-Figure out what to do about work the next day
-Don't care what you are eating for dinner, just get it done so you snuggle the sick little one.
-Going to hang-out with Pawpaw and Ms Olla this morning and Mommy gets out 1/2 a day to come home and spend Mommy and Kaleb time. (I just hate he is sick).
Now what was originally on the plan was......
-Meet Daddy and Kaleb at the gym.
-Run 3 miles, lift some weights
-Grab a protein drink for dinner
-Come home fix something for dinner
-Little Man a bath, have some snuggle time
-Little Man in the bed and then getting the original post up for today.
Obviously that is NOT what happened BUT I am most thankful for the little things like......
-Urgent Care Centers
-Finances to pay for those things
-Family members to help out in a pinch
-Job that understands when little one's are sick.
God is Good!!!!!!!! Hope your day is GREAT just like HIM!!!!!
Laboring with You,
Doula Mama Pam
PS-the post will be up on Thursday. Tomorrow is a BIG DAY!!!! Someone is turning 3 years old!!!!!!!!
Monday, January 4, 2010
Friday, January 1, 2010
Well, it is now 2010 (well, almost when I am actually writing this). It's another year. Another start of 365 days and only the Lord has any idea what we are all in for. There is NOTHING that will happen in the next 365 that will be a surprise to Him. Have you ever stopped and thought about that? Nothing is a surprise to Him. That just absolutely blows my mind and yet at the same time what a comforting thought for us.
What do you have planned this year? Do you have vacations? Surgeries? Pregnancies? Children becoming teens and teens becoming adults? Do you have a wedding? An engagement? It has the potential of being a great year. Maybe you are looking for a job? Maybe thinking about changing jobs? Going back to school? Maybe trying to get the promotion at work that you would love to have that would allow some major changes in your home? Guess what? No matter what we "think" we may have planned, God has bigger plans. His plans are better than anything we could ever imagine.
When I stop and think about what all I would love to see this year in 2010, I can easily overwhelm myself with all of the "I wants" and "If I could only". In talking to people I have discovered that a lot of make New Years Resolutions that we vow that we will keep on January 1st and by February 1st they have completely fallen of the wagon because they were so completely out of the park, there was no way to do them.
We belong to a gym and we probably will not be able to get near a machine for next 4 weeks because people will start their New Year at the gym. It always amazes me to watch people. People that have not been to the gym or have done absolutely NO physical exercise in months and sometimes years, come into a gym and jump on an elliptical or a treadmill and run it full force for all of .............5 minutes, appear that they maybe having cardiac arrest and get off with sweat pouring from their forehead and POOF!!!! you never see them again in the gym. It was to much to fast and now every bone and muscle hurts and the "I'm not going to subject myself to that again" philosophy kicks in. If you are one of these people, please don't try to impress the marathon runner that is on the treadmill next to you by trying to keep up with him or her. The fact that you made it to the gym, you have a membership is 1/2 the battle. Start slow. It's really OK to just WALK on the treadmill. There is no need to kill yourself.
I have decided to pick up running again and I have resolved myself to take it slow. It is not about time. It's about finishing what I started. I,on purpose, have not worn a watch for over the past 4 weeks and have been running on the treadmill again. It is refreshing and oh what an adrenaline rush and the stress leaves with the sweat!!!!!! It is just great!!!!! So if you have made that New Years Resolution to hit the gym, please take it slow and easy. You will get there. You have plenty of time.
Now, you may ask, what are my New Years Resolutions? Well, I actually only have a few. They are really big for me personally but I try to limit them because I would love to write this year, 2010, that I completed what I started.
-I want to be more into The Word and really study and dig in
-I want to be the wife and mother that He has created me to be
-I want to shed the weight I need to be healthy and get others involved in having a healthy lifestyle
-I want to grow my Doula/Childbirth Educator/Perinatal Fitness Business to the point I can be self-employed.
If I can accomplish the FIRST of these, the others will fall into place. He is the KEY!!!!!!!!
What are your resolutions? What would you like to see in the next 365 days?
Laboring With You,
Doula Mama Pam