Saturday, September 25, 2010

Midwifery School???????

Have you ever had that time in your life when you think......
What if.......?
That is where I am. I have been reading and reading and did I mention reading? I have read everything that I can about being a Midwife.
Did you have any idea that there were so many types of Midwives?
Did you know it also depends on where you live as to what you can practice?
Did you know that it also depends on what the initials are behind your name as to what you can do?

CNM- Certified Nurse Midwife
CPM- Certified Professional Midwife
DEM- Direct Entry Midwife
CM- Certified Midwife

Now I found out today that there is one place that you can go on line that has 3 different levels from an Associates in Midwifery, Bachelors in Midwifery, and even a Masters in Midwifery. Now that I am totally confused about all of the initials, the diploma's and the powers at be that decide on what you can do in each state I am a mess.

Just for the record there are also other higher groups that provide provision over Midwives depending on which one that you are such as

NCOFM- North Carolina Friends of Midwives
NARM- North American Registry of Midwives
MANA- Midwives Alliance of North America
MEAC-Midwifery Education and Accreditation Council

Are you as totally confused as I am? I am VERY interested in several programs. It is just really hard right now because in the state of North Carolina you must be a Certified Nurse Midwife to practice. My other thought to this whole thing would to be to become a CPM and maybe be able to work in the clinical side of the practice and get out of the paper pushing, insurance, pre-certification aspect of the office. Who knows, if the statutes and laws change and North Carolina recognizes a CPM then I would be ready to go.

I did find one school that offers a great class called "Introduction to Midwifery". I am really thinking about taking it for 2 reasons. One is to make sure this is something that I really want to do. Secondly would be to make sure that I can work full time and get homework done as well. Obviously, the Lord will direct the details and I am along for the ride and we will see where He takes me. I hope you will stick around for the journey. It's going to be a RIDE!!!!!


Laboring with You,
Doula Mama Pam
Midwife-Wanna-Be (with a million initials behind my name....hahahaha)

No comments: