Thursday, June 2, 2011

UPDATE on SCHOOL!!!!

Ok, so I make a post about everything is going good and things are moving along and then BAM!!!!!!  REALITY CHECK!!!!!!
I get all ready yesterday and my nerves are shot because I am actually going to go and see someone about going back to college.  It was scary and exciting all at the same time.  If you have known me for any length of time, you know that I have always done something in the medical field.  For what seems like forever, I have always been putting band-aids on dolls when I was little, got my CNA when I was a Senior in high school and then it was to be a progression into the nursing/medical arena.  WELL!!! LET ME TELL YOU!!!! being the lovely age of 40+ ( no need to tell the exact!), I went to see someone about getting into the medical sciences.  REALITY came and slapped me and I was blown away.
Here is the scoop....
I went to college but didn't finish.
This was in 1986-87(lets not dwell on how long ago THAT was)
NONE OF IT COUNTS!!!!I have been working in doctors offices since 1989.
I have done everything from answering phones to working with MD's to procedures to OSHA and MSDS and insurance and teaching.
NONE OF IT COUNTS!!!!!
I would be starting as a Freshman.
That is not so bad BUT......
I would be competing with all of those who have their degree in something AND all of those coming out of high school trying to get into the Medical Sciences (CMA, LPN, RN, Dental Assist, Surg. Tech etc).
It is all based on points.  You come in with points if you have covered all the pre-req. and the additional classes and other certifications that they may require for this and that.  EVEN if I were to jump in full steam and go in and take ALL that is required there is absolutely NO guarantee that I would get into the program that I want.  Bottom line.....a 2 yr RN could possibly take 4 years to get. 
I walked away sad, overwhelmed, at a loss and just basically feeling like I had no place.  I had no place to go. I didn't have a reason to return to work. I didn't see this coming!(or did I?)
I had posted on Facebook that I was going and had asked for prayers.  The "likes" and comments rolled!!!  I am so grateful for all of my friends and family that encourage me.
SO......what is next?
Taking the "medical side" off the plate leaves it VERY empty, or so it feels.
Option #3- Degree in Business----problem is.....I have no idea what to do with it if I had one.
Option #2- Early Childhood Education- Being a Teachers Assistant in a public school....problem is.....they keep cutting the budget and that is one thing they are cutting.
Option #1-PRAY!!!!!  Keep praying.  Get others to be praying. Stay focused on the LORD and NOT on my circumstances.  That is NOT AN OPTION but it is so much easier said than done. My sweet husband keeps telling me....."Relax...it is all going to work."  I believe him but it is so very difficult.  This is my time for the Lord to do a marvelous work and I am praying and expecting and hoping for GREAT things!!!!!!!
So there you have it....What's next?         I HAVE NO IDEA but HE DOES!!!!

Doula Mama Pam

PS- To all of the High School students and College Students----GET YOUR DEGREE!!!!!  STOPPING IS NOT AN OPTION!!!!!

No comments: